Thursday, January 04, 2007

"a [wo]man's whole life can be a metaphor." robert frost




This is Caleb at Christmas time...he loves books...i love him...


"I picture a figure in the act of reading,

shoes on a desk, head tilted into the wind of a book,
a man in two worlds, holding the rope of his tie
as the suicide of lovers saturates a page,
or lighting a cigarette in the middle of a theorem.
He moves from paragraph to paragraph
as if touring a house of endless, paneled rooms...

...I see all of us reading ourselves away from ourselves,
straining in circles of light to find more light
until the line of words becomes a trail of crumbs
that we follow across a page of fresh snow;

when evening is shadowing the forest
and small birds flutter down to consume the crumbs,
we have to listen hard to hear the voices
of the boy and his sister receding into the woods."

excerpt from Billy Collins' poem, Books

My little nephew Caleb loves to read books...Oh could he make me any more proud to be his auntie? I have once imagined him all grown up and away at college and I can see him sitting in the library being forever changed and entranced by the beautiful portrait of words that poets and authors construct...I hope that in 2023 when he is a freshman that they still have libraries with pages and pages of books...

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Oh my goodness, I just want to eat him up! Look at him, reading at the ripe old age of 1! Well, even though he's technically a Garrett, he definitely has a lot of Highfill in him! Us and our books, sheesh. Well, he's a smart one, that's for sure. Give him a kiss for me. Love you!