My beautiful sister, Sarah, has been asking me for days to write something new on here. I keep telling her that I don't have a so-called "exciting" life that people would actually want to spend their time reading about. But she insisted, so I'll write once again, about books, my default that never fails and today's holiday...
I have a habit that I have tried to break for years but it keeps happening over and over. I really don't want to do it but it always happens because there are just too many good books. Here it is...I have a hard time reading one book at a time. I get caught up in a book and I'm really focused on it but then I saunter into the library and see 5 more books I just have to pick up and borrow. So although I am currently 100% committed and halfway through Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier (which is splendid, by the way), I stopped by the library on Saturday and left with a few extra supplies...
1. Man Walks Into a Room by Nicole Krauss
2. The Cellist of Sarajevo by Steven Galloway
3. The Caged Virgin: An Emancipation Proclamation for Women and Islam by Ayaan Hirsi Ali
4. Spices of Life: Simple and Delicious Recipes for Great Health by Nina Simonds
5. Dreams from My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance by Barack Obama
Now go take a walk to the park, hike in the mountains or ride your bike to the closest trail and enjoy the outdoors on this Martin Luther King Jr. Day with a good book...
But first, I hope you recognize what the significance of this week means. I don't usually get "political" on here but this time I'll give you a little glimpse into my thoughts. We all know that tomorrow Barack Obama will be inaugurated as our next President. It is ironic that this event will be happening the day after we celebrate the life of Martin Luther King, Jr. What a short life Dr. King lived to result in such a great impact he created forever with his words and the actions of his life. Yesterday, Mr. Obama spoke at Dr. MLK, Jr.'s church in Atlanta, GA (which I have posted the video below). In fact, there are many issues where I agree with Mr. Obama such as placing more emphasis on preventing unplanned pregnancies. And there are other issues in which I would choose a different route to handle the issue if I were President/politician (which I have absolutely NO desire ever in my life to ever be). I have never agreed totally with a politician's decisions, votes, and words and I doubt I ever will. Obviously, Barack Obama is not perfect (and we know George W. Bush was not perfect and Bill Clinton was not perfect and even Abraham Lincoln was not perfect) and he is not going to change the world in one day but like I always say, give him a chance, let us wait and see what happens. Regardless of your political affiliations and beliefs, regardless of your disbelief or hope, Mr. Obama has affected the thoughts and minds of many around the world and tomorrow starts a new administration for America. So as the new big guys in D.C. are starting work tomorrow, we shall continue acting as citizens of our country and world for the change we hope to see in each of our communities and the world.
Peace and love to you all...
1 comment:
Well, I WOULD go on a hike on MLK Jr. Day but unlike you, MOST OF US STILL HAVE TO WORK. Lucky duck.
Post a Comment