Saturday, October 25, 2008

6 things that make me happy...

My lovely sister, Julie, "tagged" me to briefly write about what makes me happy...


2.  Elvis Perkins' music and this song in particular...



3. Chicago Public Radio's program This American Life

4. Daily phone calls to and from my sisters and my mom

5. Denise Levertov's poems especially this one...

Making Peace

A voice from the dark called out,
“The poets must give us
imagination of peace, to oust the intense, familiar
imagination of disaster. Peace, not only
the absence of war.”

But peace, like a poem,
is not there ahead of itself,
can’t be imagined before it is made,
can’t be known except
in the words of its making,
grammar of justice,
syntax of mutual aid.

A feeling towards it,
dimly sensing a rhythm, is all we have
until we begin to utter its metaphors,
learning them as we speak.

A line of peace might appear
if we restructured the sentence our lives are making,
revoked its reaffirmation of profit and power,
questioned our needs, allowed
long pauses. . . .

A cadence of peace might balance its weight
on that different fulcrum; peace, a presence,
an energy field more intense than war,
might pulse then,
stanza by stanza into the world,
each act of living
one of its words, each word
a vibration of light–facets
of the forming crystal.

6.  The "Holidays" including, but not limited to:  

*Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade with my darling family 

*the "Christmas" lights on the Square in Fayetteville 

*watching the deer and wildlife with my Dad that roam around my parent's yard

*when scarves, hats, and mittens are normal to use all the time

*celebrating Advent

*Sarah and I playing our "O Holy Night" duet on my parent's piano

*My mom's Almond Tea (this was seriously lacking last season when we were in Morocco...turns out the almond extract available in Morocco tastes like perfume)

*My niece, nephews and me all together in one house!!!!!


So maybe I cheated and listed more than only 6 things but when I get to talking about things that make me happy, the list could go on and on...

2 comments:

Julie Garrett said...

Love it, love it, love it! Especially #4 (I miss you so much!) and #6 (I miss my family so much!). I love you more! And I cannot wait to see you in my house at Thanksgiving!

Sarah said...

You better start your finger workouts and get ready for some holiday jams! Can I please be secondo??? You know how those high notes always get my right hand confused every time.

P.S. This fall weather makes me miss Morocco so much I almost cry! Seriously, Chefchauoen?!?! AHHHHHH, I NEED TO BE THERE!!!!!!!!! (Oh yeah, good call on the almond tea...I totally forgot about that concoction we made in Morocco...hilarious!)