Saturday, June 21, 2008

the newest additions to my used book collection...

The Denver Public Library had their annual used book sale last weekend.  Prior to attending the event, I set a monetary limit on my spending (because let's be honest here, I can often get carried away when it comes to 50 cent books) and surprised myself by only spending 25% of what I intended.  The mix of a sunny 85 degree day, a rather small tent stuffed full of boxes and boxes and boxes of books, what seemed like over half the population of Denver inside the tent, and a brilliant sale of goods at my favorite fabric and yarn store, Fancy Tiger, the stop at the book sale had to be quite quick.  These were the 4 books I picked out...

Since my love of Rick Steves is quite common-knowledge and my deep longing to experience the Scandinavian countries of Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland, and especially Iceland, this book was a true find (and for a simple 50 cents!).

This one I had never heard of before but one of the reviews on the back cover likened David Foster Wallace's writing to David Sedaris' so I knew it must be an unbelievably enjoyable read.

Recently I have really been wanting to expand my cooking knowledge to include more Latin-American recipes.  We have some of the best Latin American restaurants in our neighborhood and the girls at work have brought some delicious dishes from their home countries that I had never had before.  So, this has inspired me to have some fun with this style of cuisine!  
And finally, most any book that has to do with countries in Central Asia or the Middle East interest me.  So I hope this one is appealing as well.

Now I urge you to go find a "new to you" used book and enjoy.

2 comments:

J May said...

Oh man, that tent must have been musty! But what a fun time :-)

Sorry it took me a bit to keep up my end of the convo. This week pulled me away from the compy.


I think I would agree with those that would hold Bush to a higher level. To whom much is given, much is expected. It makes me wonder if any one person should have that kind of power? I might just write a blog sometime about my growing disbelief in our political situation as the last word on how government can be set up.

Death From Above is a LOT different than Sigur Ros, but they're fun. I like rhythm and that's all they are - a rhythm section. I really like the Sigur Ros songs I've heard so far! I was surprised when one was stuck in my head a day after I heard it. Wouldn't expect that from such beautiful music.

I know of one farm for sure that uses a green house. But there is another group here that is working on hydroponic stuff. That is still very much in the conceptual stage, though. Logistically, i don't know how the market would work quite yet. Maybe it would be more like Pike Place, than a farmers' market when it's all said and done, but I think there are a lot of farming advocates that will help to make it as farmer-centric as possible - maybe totally! It is being called a "Year-round farmers market" when people talk about it, but before the mall came in, we also had a really nice, year-round outdoor market (like Pike PLace with fish and stuff). Our population is pretty grocery-centric, but there is a huge support for the farmers markets. We're starting up the third one this summer with two more in two other neighborhoods on the table as possibilities in the next couple years. Our neighborhood's market draws 4,000- 6,000 people per market day. The thing about our city is that it has a history of being jacked around by big money (in good and bad ways) so most people tend to be for grass-roots stuff. We are pretty much an open canvas right now. I love it.

J May said...

I downloaded Gobbledigook from Sigur Ros' website for free. I really like it! (listening to it right now)

That's awesome that you are befriending the local growers. To what capacity do you involve yourself with agriculture? Do you grow? I saw that your occupation is R.N. so I imagine that it doesn't take all your energy. I would love to have a garden. My landlord may let us work a piece of land nearby (we have no yard).

That article sounds super interesting! I'd love to read of the connections from democracy to food and gas. Does it say that the American form of democracy consists of, by and large, disengaged consumers (vs engaged citizens) that together form an influential body that use their influence to feed their consumer tendencies? Namely, they vote based on and pester their government about the cost of gas, but not necessarily a long-term solution (like a different, non-car-centric living arrangement and built environment). In response ethanol is pronounced the solution which doubles corn prices and gobbles up farmland for other crops? Does it have anything to do with any of those things? SO curious!