Thursday, August 31, 2006

oh my creator...


VENI CREATOR...poetically composed by Czeslaw Milosz
Come, Holy Spirit,
bending or not bending the grasses,
appearing or not above our heads in a tongue of flame,
at hay harvest or when they plough in the orchards or when snow
covers crippled firs in the Sierra Nevada.
I am only a man: I need visible signs.
I tire easily, building the stairway of abstraction.
Many a time I asked, you know it well, that the statue in church
lift its hand, only once, just once, for me.
But I understand that signs must be human,
therefore call one man, anywhere on earth,
not me- after all I have some decency-
and allow me, when I look at him, to marvel at you.

I see my creator in the above pictured little girl...I met her when I was in Brazil
in an orphanage where she lived. I can't get her and the other
children out of my head these days. I want to go...Brazil? Jordan?
Afghanistan? Burma? Thailand? Sudan? Botswana?

4 comments:

kate said...

I just finished reading "Hope in Hell" about Medecins Sans Frontieres. I want to tell you to read it, on the other hand it might make you absolutely crazy for foreign lands.

He will send you, you will serve. I know.

Ray said...

i went to see shiloh play in dallas on friday, and there were like 500 people that came down to watch it. you faithful saints

Amy said...

Hi Martha! Great to read your blog. It is a bit scary having RN after your name, but it is exciting that we made it too! I hope work is going well for you. It is for me, but I still have sooooo much to learn. I am almost off of orientation. Did you go to Brazil this summer?

kate said...

we need an update!