Sarah discovered the other day that we have our first vegetable ripening on our tomato plants. Isn't it beautiful??? This is the first time I've lived somewhere that I have enough backyard for a garden. So we have a few tomato plants and yellow squashes growing along with our potted herbs of mint and basil. It is such a satisfying experience. I think our plants initially had some "transplant shock" because they weren't looking very healthy no matter how much tender care we gave. We even lost two tomatoes. It was a sad day. But now, oh, they look beautiful and strong. A few weeks ago, the city services of Denver were giving away free mulch so we took our shovel and bags to our favorite local lake/park and shoveled up bags of deteriorating Christmas trees from last December. Plus, since Sarah works at Starbucks, she gets a plethora of coffee grounds that we spread over our garden soil. So we have quite a treasured backyard. If anyone wants to come visit in the middle of July or August, we will make you a vegetable feast with Moroccan mint tea of course!
Monday, June 02, 2008
the prettiest little tomato...
Sarah discovered the other day that we have our first vegetable ripening on our tomato plants. Isn't it beautiful??? This is the first time I've lived somewhere that I have enough backyard for a garden. So we have a few tomato plants and yellow squashes growing along with our potted herbs of mint and basil. It is such a satisfying experience. I think our plants initially had some "transplant shock" because they weren't looking very healthy no matter how much tender care we gave. We even lost two tomatoes. It was a sad day. But now, oh, they look beautiful and strong. A few weeks ago, the city services of Denver were giving away free mulch so we took our shovel and bags to our favorite local lake/park and shoveled up bags of deteriorating Christmas trees from last December. Plus, since Sarah works at Starbucks, she gets a plethora of coffee grounds that we spread over our garden soil. So we have quite a treasured backyard. If anyone wants to come visit in the middle of July or August, we will make you a vegetable feast with Moroccan mint tea of course!
4 comments:
Some people have babies. For those who don't want babies, they have dogs. For those who don't want dogs...well, they turn into us. I have no problem viewing my garden as an extension of myself right now. :)
oh that's funny. i'm not a dog person either ... maybe i should think about a garden then :)
please educate me ... why coffee grounds?
LOVE that you have basil!!! yummy!
love love.
If I were there I would TOTALLY eat that tomato! Tomatoes fresh out of the garden are heavenly! Almost as good as London (which is my measuring stick for most of life!).
you are great. i love that tomato. we are moving in a few weeks and our new little apartment has a garden in front. i cannot wait to plant things. it's funny though, i love love love spending time at the farmers marker. so if the whole planting and growing thing doesn't work out for me, i know i am taken care of... since the largest farmers market in the nation is in my backyard.
love.
Post a Comment