Friday, July 27, 2007

merely a glimpse of massive cairo...






Historically, the religious law supported the construction of these wooden boxes at the top of buildings to allow women to sit and observe daily happenings on the streets below without intruding eyes seeing them. These are a common site around Cairo.


This is a very common, cheap traditional Egyptian dish called "koshary"...definitely my favorite...it is a delicious mixture of rice, black lentils, macaroni and chickpeas topped with garlic, vinegar, a spicy tomato sauce, and little fried onions.




Mom, does this corner look somewhat familiar??? Outside of a large bazaar in Cairo called Khan al-Khalili...


I have always been intrigued by windows from all around the world. From Venice, Italy to Interlaken, Switzerland to Syros, Greece to Kenai, Alaska to Shawnee, Oklahoma to Cairo, Egypt...such beautiful shapes and ornamentation throughout different cultures...

1 comment:

Sarah said...

You know, I really can't imagine a better person to spend my life with...I mean, really, MEN??? Who needs 'em?! Marriage is highly overrated anyway (and I do realize I will most likely regret that statement one day). But oh, the adventures that await us, my dear...